Wednesday 9 October 2013

Magazine Evaluation

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products? 



Before I designed my own cover and contents page, I evaluated the cover and contents page of well-known student magazine 'Student'. The majority of the space on the cover is occupied by a large, interesting central image, usually of an attractive person under thirty years of age, relating to the audience. I also observed from this research that the colour palette consisted on no more than three colours, all of which were quite dull, calm colours, connoting relaxation. The mode of address in the language on the cover of 'Student' was quite informal, but not so much that text or abbreviated speak was used. The layout of the page was quite simple and easy to understand, supporting the connotation of relaxation. 
In response to this research I decided to use only three colours: navy, sky blue and white. I chose this colour combination because it is the combination that is used within the college logo, not only does this relate to my target audience, but it also may make them feel more relaxed, as the colours aren't too in their face and don't clash. I also used a photograph of a 16 year old student, relating to my target audience. Not only does this does the subject of this photograph attract students, but also the colours used help attract readers. I shot the image in font of  a field, meaning the colours are all quite natural, which supports the calm, relaxed connotation given by my magazine. I chose the name 'Student Pop!' for my magazine, as this connotes a fun vibe, and also reinforces the fact that the magazine is for students.



       How does your media product represent particular social groups?



I produced this magazine directed towards a target audience of students between 14 and 24. This was quite easy to do, as, not only did I have my target audience research to refer back to, but also, being in this age group myself, my opinion was also fitting when deciding on design and content. I tried to reflect these opinions in my final product.
The central image, as previously stated, involves a 16 year old, fitting well with the target audience. Also, the background used consists of fields, which relates to the fact I intend my magazine to be consumed by mainly people from the countryside. A final way that this image fits to my target audience is the clothing chosen. My model is wearing averagely priced clothing, not expensive designers, as my target audience would not be able to afford higher end fashion. I is also not conforming to a specific style or label, meaning I didnt pigeonhole my magazine as a certain genre or style.
Within my target audience research, I found that my audience would pay between 50p and £1 for a student magazine. I decided to go with the bottom end of this price range (50p), as I believed that the magazine would make more sales this way.


What kind of media institution might distribute your media product and why? 



I think my magazine would be distributed within the local colleges themselves, as this way it would definitely been seen by my target audience and, due to the price, would be easy to distribute and sell.



       Who would be the audience for your media product?

My target audience are teens and young adults between the ages of 14 and 24. Specifically those who have an interest in pop culture, local news, age-related worldwide news and frank advice and tips.



     How did you attract/address your audience?


I used relatable images throughout my cover and contents pages, meaning my audience will feel more included in the magazine itself. I also chose quite an attractive model, meaning that some of my audience may be inclined to pick up the magazine. I also chose the Stencil STD font as this connotes attitude, which is a noticed quality within adolescents. I placed my masthead at the top of my cover, meaning it was clearly viewable if placed on a shelf. My house style colours consist of just three basic colours: light blue, navy and white. Not only is this simplicity appealing, as it doesn't distract or confuse the reader; but they are also the college colours, relating back to my audience. I used the same fonts and colours over both pages, adding continuity, which makes the magazine look more professional and reduces the chances of confusion.



      What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?


To construct my ideas, I mainly used InDesign, with a few slight edits on Photoshop. I already had a slight basic understanding of Photoshop, InDesign, however, was completely new to me. I learnt to use this programme mainly through trial and error (exploring the programme and trying out each tool before setting to work), although my fellow students did assist me with some things. I found editing the text in the quite masthead quite challenging, but after thinking about how to approach this problem, I managed to get around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment